Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Homemade Cliff Bars


I'll admit, I've never had a real Cliff bar. My husband started eating them a few months ago and he loves them. So, when my friend Laura posted a homemade cliff bar recipe I had to try it.  I used raisans as my dried fruit, but I think they would be great with almost any dried fruit. 

It seems like there won't be enough liquid to combine them into bars, so make sure you mix well and press them hard in the pan. Also, you may want to cool them in the fridge to make sure they are set well before cutting.  Cutting in to 12 bars is really small, so 8 bars.

Homemade Cliff Bars

1 1/4c Rice Krispies
1c quick-cook oats
3T flax seed meal
1/4c finely chopped, dried fruit (I increased to 1/2c)
1/4c finely chopped nuts
1/4c honey (or maple syrup or light molasses)
2T dark brown sugar
1/3c nut butter (peanut, almond, cashew, soy nut)
1t vanilla extract

Combine cereal through nuts in a large bowl.
Bring honey and brown sugar to a boil on medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in nut butter and vanilla.
Pour heated mixture over cereal mixture, stirring until coated. Press firmly into greased, 8" square pan. Allow to cool.
Cut into 12 bars. Wrap tightly in plastic and store in refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment